New RTLSDR-OGN is ready! Do not miss this important announcement !
Welcome to The Open Glider Network project!
The objective of the Open Glider Network is to create and maintain a unified tracking platform for gliders and other GA aircraft. Currently OGN focuses on tracking aircraft equipped with FLARM, FLARM-compatible devices or OGN tracker.
FLARM is mainly utilized in gliders, however other small aircraft (planes, helicopters, deltas or even para-gliders) are also often equipped with it, especially if operating in the areas intensively used by gliders, such as the Alps.
The OGN is a community project. It is based on software, hardware, receivers and other contributions from individuals and the open source community. The OGN network consists of:
- A pair of APRS linux based servers that receive and forward data. Data includes device location information, status of receivers and the status of the OGN APRS network.
- A database of airplanes. Add your own glider or other airplane with tracking equipment to the OGN-database here if you wish to influenced how it's displayed!
- OGN ground receivers, based at airfields, gliding clubs, summits of mountains or private houses of our members that listen for and decode the location data of aircraft in their vicinity and send gliders position reports via network to the APRS servers.
- Software for Linux that can be installed on a PC or small mini-board computers (such as the Raspberry Pi, Cubieboard2, Odroid U3, etc.). It drives a USB DVB-T radio receiver and listens for, decodes, sends the position reports and participates in the OGN network.
- This WIKI
- Websites and applications that can use and display the data. The most obvious use is to track gliders on a moving map in real time, another use would be search and rescue (SAR), automatic flight logs, etc.
The OGN is a new project, it is a work in progress and there is still much work to be done. You can help by:
- Funding, installing and running a receiver at your gliding club, at your home or anywhere the OGN has a 'hole' in its coverage. The cost of receiver is probably less than two aerotows for most glider pilots.
- Contributing your time to update, expand and maintain this Wiki, or improve the applications that use/ display/ share the OGN data or write your own application for the community.
You can join us by subscribing to our discussion group.
Please refer to the About OGN section for more information.